Taxes are an interesting thing, aren’t they? Thankfully, this tax season is over and now we must prepare for the next. Today is a bit of a lighter day here though, no big tax tips or strategies. Just some fun info that you may or may not know, here are some quick tax facts.
- Import taxes are ridiculous on certain items. Couple outrageous ones:
– Flashlights: 125%
– Peanut Butter – 132%
– Golf Shoes – 35%
- There’s a 75 cent tax on the diphtheria, pertussis, and tetanus (also known as DPT) shot. That goes to a fund to help kids who end up being allergic to it.
- You have to list buried treasure on your income taxes – this may seem silly, but it’s an earned income that you have to claim, just like the lottery.
- Ever wonder why gas guzzling vehicles are so pricey? Because the company has to pay taxes that can be up to $7,700 every single year because they produce those vehicles.
- For the petty thieves that may read my website: Whatever you steal or get bribed with is taxable.
- Several countries in the European Union charge farmers a “cow flatulence tax,” up to 18%. Why? Because cow’s digestive processes create a lot of methane… a leading cause of global warming.
- In Canada, breakfast cereal makers are exempt from taxes if they include a free toy inside. Now, there’s a stipulation- it can’t be any form of alcohol. I’d hope not.
- A junkyard owner tried to deduct cat food as a business expense. He succeeded. Why? Because he used it to attract strays, which got rid of the rodents and snakes, which made the junkyard more customer safe and friendly.
- Another guy got a really nice swimming pool deducted – because his doctor recommended exercise for various health problems.